To be able to fight fake news here are three simple questions you will need to ask yourself:
- Who‘s behind the information?
- who is the author of the piece of information that you are holding in your hands, tablet, etc.?
- who is funding for the website, the newspaper, etc.?
- what is the mission or objectives of the author(s)?
- what might be the motivation behind the information?
- What‘s the evidence?
- is there enough proof?
- is that source trustworthy?
- do we have enough facts to support the evidence?
- what piece of information is missing?
- what do other sources claim?
- do we have same or different information? what tendency emerge?
- do we have an agreement or disagreement between the sources of information? if so why?
- what is the viewpoint of the other sources
For further information, check out the International Federation of Library Associations and institutions (IFLA) infography on “How to spot Fake News“
Wishing you a wonderful evening,
Information From a Librarian 🙂